Tuesday, January 18, 2011

dreaming of burrata

During my last visit to Miami we ate at Michael's Genuine where I was first introduced to "Burrata" cheese. Let me tell you the $20 Burrata appetizer served with heirloom tomatoes, olive oil, basil, pepper and sea salt was the one of the best simple dishes I've ever had. The waitress told us that they flew it in daily from Italy. I still dream about that soft buttery cheese til this day. It literally keeps me up at night trying to figure out where and how I'm going to get my next Burrata fix. I've been to Italy in the past few years, how did I not know about this precious ball of melt in your mouth heavenly sinful creamy deliciousness? I will eat this cheese hourly the next time I'm in Italy.
Burrata is a fresh Italian cheese, made from mozzarella and cream. The outer shell is solid mozzarella while the inside contains both mozzarella and cream, giving it an unusual, soft texture. It is usually served fresh, at room temperature. The name "burrata" means "buttered" in Italian. Sounds deadly, I know!!!!!
Great news though, I was at "Italian Kitchen" last month and low and behold, they now have Burrata on the menu! It was wonderful! Are they flying it in from Italy? Is it available in Vancouver? Where are they getting it from? I asked the waiter who was going to look into it for me, but I never did get my answer. I will be further investigating this matter. Keep you posted. Below is a picture found on the web as I devoured my Burrata before I could take out my camera.

1 comment:

  1. Cioffi's in Burnaby apparently sells fresh burrata. I'd never heard of this stuff and it came up in conversation the other day and this is where you can get it.

    ReplyDelete