Saturday, January 22, 2011

i don't always cook

I haven’t been blogging each day lately because I’ve been exhausted, I’m currently working for the next few days, My shifts are 12 ½ hours long, so I pretty much wake up, brush my teeth arrive at the office by 6 looking dishevelled, go home, care for my daughter, throw some pasta in a pot, eat, tidy up and head to bed with my daughter. Daddy played hockey last night.

I’m fortunate to have a job that allows me 6 days off, it’s in those 6 days that I can prepare a nice from scratch meal and get things done around the house.  It makes me wonder how on earth do full time Monday to Friday working mom’s do it?  My hat goes off to the ladies that work Monday to Friday, go home, take care of their little ones, their husbands, and their households with really only a 2 day weekend to catch up and maybe get to do something fun, only to head back to work Monday morning to start the daily grind all over again.  I can’t even imagine how single moms do it, my upmost respect goes out to those ladies!!

I don’t cook every night, there are nights when my husband asks me “what’s for dinner?” and my response is “order pizza”, thank god my husband loves pizza!!! I’m a fan of shortcuts and convenience. I don’t enjoy cleaning or folding clothes,  I sometimes let my fresh out of the dryer laundry pile up like a mountain on the spare bed. I love the days when my  mom comes over to watch Sophia because she always folds and puts away my laundry, organizes my cupboards and has a fabulous hot meal waiting for us when I get home from work.

I don’t always have freshly shaven legs because I can only leave my daughter in her playpen by the bathroom door for so long until she wants out, only leaving me with a short, quick shower.  I only wear makeup when I’m going to an actual event, not the grocery store or running errands.  Why is it that MOST men’s lives do not change after you have children, they still plan there “all boys vacations”, they still play hockey, they still participate in their poker tournaments, hockey and fantasy football pools and they still get to have their long 30 minute showers! In my world and in the worlds of the people I know, the woman is working, primarily caring for the child, solely tending to the housekeeping duties, groceries and dinners, not leaving much time for the extras.   I’m not complaining about my husband as he works practically 6 days a week, he does watch our daughter, he does do the Costco runs, he will run out to buy anything that our daughter needs anytime anyplace, he does take care of managing the financials, bills etc...and he does provide us with a lifestyle where we can travel and enjoy nice things and I really and truly am grateful and appreciate him for it.  But he can’t cook and doesn’t clean, so that’s my responsibility, even when I’m exhausted from a long work day.  So when you read a post about a new and wonderful recipe I tried or something neat I created, chances are that it was definitely done on my days off.


"Hot Oven Pizza" - our favorite delivery when I'm not cooking
It's AMAZING!!! Stay tuned for my full review

No comments:

Post a Comment